OKpanda crafts innovative digital products for learning English. We use our social and gaming backgrounds (73 Million users on Facebook and iOS) to help people learn in novel ways, delivering superior curricula, smart games and context awareness to achieve amazing outcomes.
OKpanda is a venture funded English learning platform that includes instant messaging, live voice, and digital curricula. In the same way Uber allows anybody with a car to be a Limo service, we allow any qualified English teacher to build their own English classroom.
We target the $20 billion English learning space in Asia, 90% of whose revenues still go to brick and mortar language schools. Our focus is Japan, a huge market with horrible learning outcomes where we provide convenient and effective live online instruction and digital learning tools.
The founders are serial entrepreneurs and all code. We have experience scaling applications and services to tens of millions of users with as many as 1500 requests per second on relational and non-relational systems. We move fast, build, iterate and ship constantly. In December 2013 we released our first product on Japan’s Apple App Store, achieved the #1 position in the education category and brought in 300K+ installs in only 12 weeks.
We are executing against our vision, growing fast, and looking for amazing people to join us.
THE AWESOME STUFF YOU WILL WORK ON
- To grow big, OKpanda will engage thousands of teachers and serve millions of users. Your leadership will involve deep coding and architectural implementation of major components of students’ web experiences as well as systems to guarantee teaching quality and autonomy, reporting systems and robustness.This is a critical role requiring big-picture strategic thinking, exceptional technical skill, product sensitivity and team building savvy. This role includes technology selection, hiring and managing members of the technical team and promises great autonomy and huge impact in defining foundational company culture.
- You will have all the resources you need to conquer the challenges above. In turn, you will bring the hustle, tenacity and creativity to build the plan and execute on it.
- Interview, assess and onboard engineering hires. Define technology standards and technologies used for major projects
- Write beautiful, responsive web code for our main web service. We are currently working with html/css/JS, Node.js + mysql.
- Implement systems to make good teachers great.
- Run code reviews with colleagues and provide technological mentorship to new hires.
- If experienced in mobile, write beautiful, robust code for our mobile products.
- Lead development of architecture, backend and dashboards for analytics and reporting.
- Lead development of control dashboards that empower teachers and help them run their English business
- Demonstrated success managing teams of 3-10 engineers
- Demonstrated success growing engineering teams
- Experience building delightful, popular consumer-facing products on web or mobile
- Experience with the Agile workflow and versioning systems (2+ years)
- Demonstrated success in system architecture to handle high load
- Versatility in creating great software that served thousands to millions of users and solved varied challenges (e.g. millions of analytics events, high fidelity messaging etc..)
- 5+ years of demonstrated top notch work product delivered in web programming
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or related field
- Preferred: 1+ years of building live, complex products with Node.js.
- Bonus: 2+ years success building solid native mobile products in iOS, Android, LAMP
- Bonus: EFL teaching experience and/or East asian language skills
- Report directly to the CEO and work with brilliant, international, friendly people
- Enjoy competitive compensation, free healthy food at the office, health insurance, free gym membership and a great equity package.
- Participate directly in all areas of software development, from data and system architecture to analytics, front end and back end, web and mobile.
- Use the right technology for the job; push the envelope on new languages and tools
- Learn about user growth directly from the OKpanda founders, who have scaled more than 10 different products to millions of users each on Facebook, iOS and MySpace.
- Be constantly challenged both operationally and intellectually.
- We are pushing the envelope on how learning happens and want you to have a seat at the table.
- Do something meaningful: For our students we offer a cheaper, more effective way to master a life changing skill and build new friendships. For our teachers, who are largely stay at home moms in the Philippines, we offer lucrative employment with real impact.