We're currently 600 people strong in 6 offices globally, and handling many millions of pounds daily. TransferWise is a 100% boredom-free zone. If you're looking for a stuffy financial company, the back button beckons, if you want to be part of something innovative and truly exciting, read on.
TransferWise is the clever new way to move money between countries. Co-founded by Skype's first employee and backed by some of the planet's most experienced innovators, including Sir Richard Branson, PayPal founder Peter Thiel and Netscape founders Andreessen Horowitz, with the mission of disrupting the world of currency & international money transfer. That means flipping a gazillion dollar industry on its head and taking power away from banks and the establishment.
Full TimeCompliance・Tokyo, Japan・Full TimeLanguages
Japanese Native English FluentDescription
TransferWise Japan is newly launched, and now we’re looking for a Compliance Officer to join our Tokyo team.
Ultimately this person will be responsible for keeping the Japanese entity compliant with not just local regulations but also our global obligations. This means that although based in Tokyo we need someone who is comfortable co ordinating with the Compliance team in Europe as well as our local regulators and legal entities.
The ideal candidate would have at least a couple of years experience in the compliance department of Japanese financial institution, or several years experience of legal, compliance or audit functions elsewhere. Clear understanding of regulations such as “Payment Services Act” and “Act on Submission of Statement of Overseas Wire Transfers for Purpose of Securing Proper Domestic Taxation” is highly advantageous.
What will you do?
- Review compliance operations program to assess compliance with Japanese regulations.
- Ensure that Japanese framework remains up to date with applicable laws/ statutes, which will include the review of policies and procedures.
- Develop and deliver an internal compliance training program.
- Communicate regularly with our local regulator in Japanese (KFLB) to ensure everything is up to date.
- Inherit and evolve current local compliance program such as process, reporting, escalation and system design.
- Liaise with compliance operations team in Europe in order to support a robust global compliance regime.
- Liaise with local legal office and challenge local regulations. This could be as simple as looking at them from a different angle but we champion ways to make our service better for our customers.
What are we looking for?
- Someone who is native in Japanese & fluent in English - both verbal and written
- Previous work experience in senior position that is responsible for operational compliance or law (preferred candidates have experience from fund transfer provider or other financial institutions)
- Understanding of relevant Japanese legal and regulatory framework for fund transfer service businesses, including Fraud/AML requirements
- A genuine desire to work in a small start-up environment and get your hands dirty when preventing problems or resolving issues
- A great working environment
- All-expenses-paid company holidays in Europe
- Paid holidays, paid time off
- Stock options in one of Europe's most hotly tipped startups
- Worker’s Accident Compensation Insurance (rosai hoken)
- Health Insurance (kenko hoken)
- Employment Insurance (koyo hoken)